Friday, February 26, 2010

Circle of Life?

BFFs. Best Friends Forever. BFFL. Best Friends For Life?

I've had a lot of best friends. But many don't stick around. Its almost like a trend in my life, we hang out all the time, tell each other everything, and then one day.... we grow apart. And it hurts, its like a piece of you is being taken with that friendship. Mind you a lot of this happened when I was younger, but I'm beginning to realize that it doesn't matter how old you are, the impact is still as harsh. Why do friends leave? Is it something we do? Or, is it just a natural process of life, the circle of life perhaps, to take from the Lion King. Is there ever going to be that one friend, that sticks around, and cares about our lives forever, or will I constantly be searching for a new friend every six months, because if thats the case, no thank you.

Okay - now this isn't to say that I don't love the friends I have. Because I truly truly do. I have been blessed with some of the most incredible friends in the world. I wouldn't trade them for anything. I think it has just been one of those reflective days, where emotions are just running free, and today, this just stuck with my and was something that needed to be said.

Yet, throughout all of this, I know that I have the most perfect friend of all. Jesus. He will never leave me or foresake me. He's there when I mess up and immediately starts pulling me together. So yeah, its hard to see friends go, but knowing that the Lord is there, having my back regardless of everything, makes it a lot easier. And then I read James, and everything clicked. Now I'm not usually a fan of the message - but this really stood out to me:

"You're cheating on God. If all you want is your own way, flirting with the world every chance you get, you end up enemies of God and his way. And do you suppose God doesn't care? The proverb has it that "he's a fiercely jealous lover." And what he gives in love is far better than anything else you'll find. It's common knowledge that "God goes against the willful proud; God gives grace to the willing humble."

So let God work his will in you. Yell a l
oud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he'll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious.
James 4:4-11 (the Message)

So thanks, but I'd choose being friends with God any day. No enemies here, no sir.

Friends, are a blessing. Cherish the laughs, the smiles, the secrets. Love them Everyday.


1 comment:

Catherine West said...

I think that for each season in our lives, special people are brought to us. Some may stick around a while longer, others will just leave you some sweet memories. There will be some 'lifetime' friends but they may also come and go for a time. When you get to be my age you will understand all this a lot better. :)) You have your focus in the right place, and trust God to surround you with people who truly love you. I do. xoxo