Sunday, February 7, 2010

Let my life be...



I remember sitting on this bench for the very first time. 14 years old, and so confused at who I was and who I wanted to be. Staring out onto our lake, wondering why my parents even decided to buy a cottage in the first place, because in my eyes being there for the entire summer was the "worst idea ever". Funny how things work out. Now when I sit on that bench, at 20 years old, I look out onto the lake, wondering why such a great and powerful God who created everything I see, would take the time to love such a measly sinner such as myself. The change between 14 year old Sarah and present is drastic, and its made me realize that I want my life to be a testimony to Christ, not to the world. I don't want to perform, I want to be real.

Recently, I wrote an essay for University on the "performance" aspect of baptism. Of course I argued that it wasn't a performance (my prof is going to hate me...), however, it got me thinking -- Why do we perform in front of other Christians? Aren't we supposed to be the body of Christ? Doesn't that mean, that regardless of our situation, we are to be open, seeking prayer, encouragement and love? It's like that Casting Crowns song so wonderfully puts it "If we are the body, why aren't His arms reaching, why aren't His hands healing." And why the heck aren't they. We have become so focused on the appearance of the outer image, and forgotten about the image of the heart. So next time you're worrying about what to wear to church, or the fact that we don't have it "all together", check out your heart. And I'm not even one to talk, because I do the exact same thing - worrying about the things that don't matter, and forgetting the things that do. I want to clear my heart of everything, which doesn't glorify Christ, I want to have a softened hard, able to be moulded and used. I want to be a living testimony of Christ in me.

Let's do more, Let's be more!

1 comment:

Catherine West said...

Amen. You're awesome. I love you.
The end. xo